Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Trip to Japan – Part 2 of 3

Before I jump into part two of my trip, I’d like to share one of my passions.

Music plays a huge part in my life. It’s my instant memory refresher that also acts as background music for a mental slideshow of different parts of my life that last as little as two weeks or as long as a year. So it’s only natural for me to choose new albums to listen to when I go on trips or when I’m in a certain mood. On this trip, I had a few albums that I’d acquired the days before I left: Kid Cudi – Man on the Moon; Olu – Soul Catcher; The Filibusters – (Untitled).

DSC01124

The Kid Cudi album (in the picture to the left) was my most played because the beat, the whole rhythm of the album, was kind of how my brain moves while I’m in Japan—dream-like, slow moving while everything else around me moves 10 times faster, but all at my own pace and body movement. Y’know, kinda like those slow-motion music videos that look really corny. Honestly, it made me want to do the robot on a few occasions. Anyway, back to the story.

After coming back to Japan from China on the evening of September 21, Yang and I went to our hotel in Yokohama and had dinner with her family. I was hoping to meet with my friend Brook that night, but dinner lasted a little long and I was pretty tired anyway from the plane ride and the drive to Yokohama from Narita Airport in Chiba.

On September 22, I took the train to Brook’s apartment, which is near Shibuya, a suburb of Tokyo. For some reason, I like to bring a backpack with me when I’m venturing out to Tokyo. Unfortunately, when it’s time to go out, it’s a pain to carry it around. What’s worse is that there’s not a whole lot in it. I use it to carry non-alcoholic beverages, my digital camera, and whatever things I buy, but I rarely buy things when I’m in Japan. Hence, my backpack is pointless… it’s just a koala-like object that is not a koala at all. Anyway, Brook and I met for a couple hours and he invited me to his friend’s potluck, but since I had the man-purse of terror tugging on my shoulders, I decided to go back to Yokohama instead.

Wake up! Bam! September 23. In the late afternoon, I met with Doug, who I’ve known through Twitter since my early days as a “I think I’m talking to myself on Twitter” guy (who knows… maybe I still am?). It took awhile for us to find a bar that was open at 5pm since most open at 8pm, but we had a nice chat over a couple of beers and peanuts. It was really cool to meet someone in Japan, especially since I only know a handful of people. Connecting with complete strangers in a foreign land is tough enough, but we were able to connect with what we knew of each other through Twitter. Then, I was off to the Shibuya area to meet Brook again. We went to a fairly cheap izakaya (Japanese-style bar). After some food and beer, Brook was ready to call it a night because he had to work the next day.

Wait. Not so fast. Instead, we took a short detour and found the holy grail of hole-in-the-wall bars. It was a pretty well-hidden spot—down an alley and three floors upstairs. We walked in and found… A SOUL MUSIC BAR! The bar, called Chap Sweet and Mellow, fit maybe 10 people and was decorated with records, CDs, soul music posters, and a tiny disco ball in the corner. Come to find out later, the bartender/guy who owns the bar is a local DJ. He played pretty much anything we wanted from the soul genre. It was a good chance for me to chat with the locals in Japanese and a cool blend of how people can communicate through music. Me and Brook’s facial expressions would light up on almost every song and the bar owner would ask us what we wanted to hear next.

My parents came to Japan on September 24, but before meeting them at the airport, I took this video of me riding the Landmark Tower elevator in Yokohama, Japan. It’s the tallest building in Japan and contains offices, a hotel, a few restaurants, and a cocktail lounge, which is on the 70th floor.

 

I was really glad to see my parents in Japan. We had it all planned out for a couple of months, but just having them there was surreal. I was glad they got to experience why I enjoy visiting Japan so much. I think they were surprised by the food portions—a lot of people think Japan is all expensive restaurants with small food portions. I think we debunked that theory on this trip.

September 25, I showed my parents around Yokohama, but they were pretty tired from the 9-hour flight from Seattle the previous day, so I took them back to their hotel, hung out for a bit there, and then met with Brook and our friend Yuuhito at Chaps for some more soul music. We stayed there for about an hour and then went to the same izakaya where Brook and I went to a couple days earlier. We chatted and drank quite a bit, and they proclaimed our mini-gathering to be my Japanese bachelor party. I even completed the event by falling asleep on the train and worrying about where I was when I woke up.

The next day, September 26, was me and Yang’s wedding reception, but I’ll save that for my next post.

For more pictures of my trip to China and Japan, visit my China & Japan – September 2009 photo set on Flickr. If we’re friends on Facebook, you can view a few more pictures on my Facebook profile.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by ジョシュ @ 1:03 AM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License.

© 2010 columnbreak. :)