Friday, October 16, 2009

My Trip to Japan – Part 3 of 3

On Sunday, September 27, Yang’s dad ever-so-kindly drove me, my mom and dad, and Yang up through Tokyo.

The grill of a Lexus hybrid sedan at the Toyota Showroom in Tokyo. In the morning, we went to the Toyota Showroom in Odaiba, a man-made island in Tokyo. The picture on the left is of a Lexus hybrid sedan. Lexus has a small section in the Toyota Showroom that shows off about five cars, depending on new model releases.

Droppin’ knowledge: Lexus is a division of the Toyota Motor Corporation in the United States.

From the Toyota Showroom, we went to Tokyo Tower. The main observation deck is 492 feet from the bottom of the structure; for all you Seattleites, that observation deck is 28 feet shorter than the observation deck on the Space Needle. In any case, both are high off the ground and have great views of both respective cities. The two pictures below are of Tokyo Tower and one of the many views from the main observation deck.

Tokyo Tower in Tokyo. One of the many views from Tokyo Tower.

After spending about an hour in Tokyo Tower, we made our way to Yoyogi Park so that I could say “bai bai” to my friend Brook. After getting lost in the gigantic park, I finally found him and it took a good while to say “See ya.” He really knows how to find a good time when I’m in Japan.

The usual crowd that invades the Asakusa Then, we drove to Asakusa—more specifically, Asakusa Shrine, which really caters to to tourists. The picture to your right shows a crowd of visitors in the strip-mall area of Asakusa Shrine. It’s a neat area because a lot of the buildings and shops are old-fashioned looking. My mom and dad bought a few gifts for folks back home and walked down some of the residential streets and alleyways. Contrary to what you see in the picture, by the time we left Asakusa Shrine, it was dark outside.

Yang’s dad had to meet with a work customer, so he dropped us off next to the Imperial Palace in the heart of Tokyo. Good news was that the area wasn’t busy. Bad news was that it was dark and impossible to see the palace. Serious bummer. So we walked a few blocks and took the train back to our hotels in Yokohama.

On Monday, we all took it pretty easy. I met with my parents in the afternoon, and we went to Yokohama Chinatown and my parents bought more gifts for people at home. Then, thinking that there was a place for us to buy glasses on just about every block, I took a taxi with my parents to where Yang’s parents lived. I was wrong. No place to buy glasses, except for the one place in a department store… where the Fendi, Burberry, and other luxury brands cost $200+ for frames and lenses. No thanks. I was looking for glasses that cost $50. When Yang was available to meet us around 3pm, we walked to her parents’ place, and then from there, we drove to Yang’s dad’s work office. Then, we drove to a Chinese restaurant that Yang’s aunt’s friend owned. The food was delicious! After being stuffed with food and hydrated with alcohol, we went home and slept well.

Tuesday, September 29, was our last full day in Japan, so Yang and her parents took me and my parents to a place near Mount Fuji called Hakone, which is popular for its natural hot springs. The drive took about two-and-a-half hours, but we stopped for my parents to buy more gifts. After another 30 minutes of driving, we reached our main destination for the day. Time to walk! Natural hot springs near Mount Fuji.The air was filled with a strong sulfur smell from the various natural hot springs in the mountain. We passed by a bunch of the hot springs (see the picture to your left), and when we reached the end of the trail, we bought eggs that had been hard-boiled in a hot spring. They were pretty good. Just peel the egg shell off, dash a little salt on it, and indulge. Too bad it gave me a stomachache an hour later.

After eating a corn-flavored soft-serve ice cream treat, we drove to an outdoor art museum. It had a bunch of structures and a sizeable acreage to explore artwork. We even had the chance to get lost in a maze. Once I got in, I realized that there were flowers growing on the top of the walls. How precious… until I realized that the plethora of flowers were attracting bees. Lacking any sense of direction and worried that the bees would maul me, I, naturally, was the last one out of the maze. The last thing we did before leaving the outdoor art museum was soak our feet in a hot bath. If you don’t have access to a foot massager (human or machine) or if you’re too shy about your machete-like toenails, soaking your feet in hot water provides some good, temporary relief.

The Great Buddha in Kōtoku-in Temple in Kamakura. Heading back to Yokohama, we took a detour to Kamakura and visited the Great Buddha (see image to your right) of Kamakura at the Kōtoku-in Temple. This is the second time I’ve visited the temple… and for the second time, I wasn’t able to go up into the giant statue. Outside of the temple, the street is lined with small shops and traditionally decorated buildings. When we left, darkness hit us pretty quickly, even though in this picture, it looks fairly bright outside. We hoped in the van and made our way back to Yokohama.

Before going to dinner, we had some time to spare, so we stopped by a ferry terminal near the restaurant that we were going to. While doing some walking, below is a picture I found:

no-smoking-fail-whale

I can’t read most of the kanji in the sign, but I’m guessing it reads something like “Smoking results in a fail-whale situation. No smoking.”

We had a pretty awesome Chinese food dinner—and I’m not talking about General Tso’s chicken and egg fooyung. Unfortunately, I don’t remember exactly what I ate, but I know it was good stuff.

The next day, September 30, was our last day in Japan. Yang and I had to pack like crazy because we had our stuff—dirty clothes included—scattered on the floor of our hotel. My parents had already finished and just hung out around their hotel until Yang and I came by. Yang’s dad picked us up at my parents’ hotel and we started our drive to the airport. On the way there, we took a shortcut through the Tokyo Bay Aqua Line, an underwater freeway, and stopped by Umi Hotaru, which is a man-made piece of land containing shops and restaurants and looks kind of like a ship. We were in a hurry, since we underestimate how long it would take to drive to the airport, so we only stayed at Umi Hotaru for about 15 minutes. We got to the airport about 1 hour and 15 minutes before our plan was set to take off. Oops. We had a quick tearful “peace out” and power walked to our terminal… on the opposite side of the airport. We hopped on the plane and we were set. Eight hours later, we landed at SeaTac.

And that’s it! My trip to Japan in an nutshell… or blog, whichever you prefer. I hope you enjoyed it. :)

For more pictures of my trip to China and Japan, visit my China & Japan – September 2009 photo set on Flickr. If we’re friends on Facebook, you can view a few more pictures on my Facebook profile.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by ジョシュ @ 8:26 AM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License.

© 2010 columnbreak. :)